Friday, November 14, 2008

Bake a Cake

This morning there was this big packet of candies in our office kitchen. I saw it when I went to get some water and told myself I would have one, just one after lunch. After lunch I went to the kitchen and it was all gone. Now who can eat so many candies at once? Has someone hid it in their office? I was so annoyed hmph! Lesson learnt- When you see a candy, grab it and eat it. I am so ready for the weekend I tell ya. Just to sleep in a little, not worry about work. And even more ready for holidays. This month and next, wow it’s like 2 long weekends, one this month and one next. So my resolution (Call it early new year resolution) is to experiment one new recipe every week, preferably on a Thursday or a Friday. Thursday to just get into the mood of weekend or Friday to actually celebrate the weekend. While I experiment and try out the new recipe, Jas adds perfection by tasting (now that’s a risk, isn’t it?) and adding any spices needed. Like he says, cooking is no art, just a science. You get the recipe and follow it perfectly nothing should go wrong. Well ahem! So this Thursday we tried Chicken Marsala. The first time I tasted it at Cheesecake factory, I simply loved it. When I looked up some blogs and website, realized its one of the easiest recipes. Am comparing this with rigorous Indian cooking involving grating and grinding coconut and all. So well all I needed was Marsala wine and patience. Voila! Yumm! Don’t believe me, try searching Chicken Marsala and you will find tons of simple recipes. What? Did you think I was turning my blog to some recipe blog? But since you all are so nice and are here reading my blog, I’ll share the link. Go ahead, try it and enjoy. And if any of you know some cool recipe link, please share. One thing I really want to learn is how to bake a cake. In India, there isn’t a huge tradition of baking cakes. My mum never baked one. I never learnt to bake one. Well, she did make some yummy Diwali sweets and I dream to learn them one day. But well, never a cake. Now being a beginner I would like to try out some simple cake, like mix and put in oven types. But I go to the store and look at these tons of packets, there is a dilemma of choice. So many brands, so many options, what to choose, which one? Oops its 5.37 pm gotta go. All you nice people enjoy the weekend cook some nice food and share some cake baking tutorials :)

3 comments:

Music7 said...

Try strawberry cake ! Its yumm.. I baked it for Ashish on his B'day

Or else try .. chocolate fudge with cheese topping :)

Very simple to make..
Pillsbury :D!

Erika said...

Oooh, I wish we still worked together so I could teach you how to bake a cake!! Remember when I taught you about pancakes? My personal favorite cake it the Duncan Hines butter cake mix. You need two 8" cake pans. You mix the cake up according instructions, grease the cake pans, divide the cake evenly in the cake pans, and bake according to instructions.

When the cakes are done (test for done by sliding a butter knife in. If the knife comes out clean, the cake is done) let cool until they feel vaguely warm to the touch.

Dump the cakes out, put one cake on a plate or stand, and frost the top with dark chocolate frosting (you can buy Duncan Hines cake frosting at the store). Then, put the other cake on top of it and frost the top and sides of the whole thing.

Voila! Instant cake/HUGE mess! The best part is cleaning the frosting off your hands by licking your fingers!

Perception said...

Erika & Ganga: Thanks sweeties for such lovely tips. Erika, wouldn't have got those pancakes to perfection if it hadnt been for your tips. I will certainly try both these cakes and hopefully they'll turn out quite eatable :)