Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Marketing Campaign

Where have we been? Friday came and went by and yet no post. No I am not drowning under a pile of work; it just called- being lazy. So how about we catch up on what’s going on these days starting with me visiting one of our neighbors, who has a fish tank and three cute,fat Gold fishes. No really they are pretty fat. And as soon as I walked to the tank they crowded together to see me. I kinda think they were gossiping. For a moment when I looked at them, I was concerned they may grow too big to fit the tank in a couple of months, upon asking neighbor convinced me these fish never outgrow the tank. I mean it seems Goldfish are like that.

At work there was this weird email. Has it ever happened to you that you email someone and the reply is an automated one saying “Sorry to inform you Mr So and So passed away on Nov-11- 08”? I received this one. And it felt weird not creepy just weird. I didn’t know the person, it was just another marketing campaign and several responses came through. But this one was so weird. If there is change in someones job title, company I usually mark this in database or inform the coordinator to do so. But for this person I didn’t know what I should say. I mean its really weird. I didn’t even delete the email from my inbox – it just stayed there and the thought stayed in my mind.

Talking of weird responses, I received several other weird responses to the campaign. I learnt people could have some interesting job titles like- gangster, mother-sister-wife-daughter, still thinking, I used to work as a Software Engineer but now counting sheep’s etc. No really I am not kidding.

Also learnt some people come up with creative answers for a simple survey question such as –

Are you an IT Professional?
-Yes, I am a Nurse
-Of course, I teach my son computers
-IT? ? Can you please email me what that means

Not to mention their names I have come across, Dollar Man, Mr Fadoo, Swamichandran Viveshwaran Trimbekshwaram Thimmappa Govindappa (And yes that is one name). How the hell am I to fit this in database, there is a character limit you see, its programmed that way, the IT dude will kill himself if I send him a request to accommodate this. Anywho there was also one other Ali-Mohammed-Hasan-Hamez (don’t ask me what’s the first and last name).

Ok listen got to get back to work now, you all well no? Cya will post soon!

5 comments:

Music7 said...

heheh! :)

SUMI said...

that OOF message was SO weird! I'd have been creeped out too!

Perception said...

Sumi:Isnt it? I didnt know whether to reply to, delete or save the email. All day the thought seemed to stay in my mind, till I blogged about it.

Neeraja said...

I can empathize with your pain on dealing with ridiculous survey responses :)

And that OOF message is something I always dread, in terms of my own email account... weird I know, but I've always wondered what would happen to email accounts of people who passed away. A treasure trove of communications preserved in the virtual world.

Perception said...

Neeraja: Me too about blogs. I mean I wonder if someone will stumble on my blog long after I have gone. Maybe I will just pass it along and start a new inheritance :)