Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Parsing the purse

I used to love sitting next to Ma as she cleaned her purse. There were always those special old things she had forgotten to throw away. Often she had a chocolate hid in some pocket and completely forgotten about it. Though the chocolate would be days old and sort of shapeless, I would still grab and eat it :). There would be bills, old crumpled notes, holy books, dead spider, medicines and ginger tugged somewhere in a ziplock bag. Dad would often scold Ma for keeping all those things stuffed in her bag while I laughed at their conversation. She would explain how each of those things were important for different reasons like how the ginger came handy if someone were to fall ill. Wonder how? I wondered how she could store the whole world in that purse. Today as I sat eating lunch alone, I saw a women cleaning her purse and it reminded me of the good old times.

The last time I cleaned my purse (which was a while ago shhh!) I found the following items:

1. A chewing gum wrapped in the silver wrapper (after being chewed to death)
2. 10 Rs note (nearly brought a tear to my eye, I think I would fill buckets if it were 25 paisa coin) sniff sniff!
3. BEST bus ticket (long back I used to collect these, still cling on to them)
4. Vicks VapoRub, Vicks Inhaler, Vicks Cough drops (These looked if not years, months old eeks!)
5. Eyeliner, Lipstick, Ponds powder dabba (gosh who put that in my purse, never liked Ponds), cold cream, toothbrush (what, why? Thank god I didn’t have a tongue cleaner too), ear buds.
6. Two headphones (one old , one current- don’t ask why)
7. Lotsa bills- I never say no to the person at the counter when she asks if I want a bill, just grab it and dump in the purse.
8. A diary - never used
9. Hair pins, safety pins- Why do I need those for?
10. Some old newspaper, greeting cards, notes to self (interesting read)
11. Keys, some in use, some loose ones- don’t know which lock they belonged to
12. Calculator- My precious, hate when someone takes it
13. Handkerchief- found 5, never carry one and never find one when I need it
14. Pencil cells, Pens (atleast a dozen)
15. And yeah money- a few dollars here and there hidden away. Cancerian told ya!
16. Hey bhagwan so many photos of gods, ganpati, sai baba (all given by Ma)

Now I am feeling all nostalgic. So tell me when was the last time you cleaned your purse? What did you find?

10 comments:

SecondSight said...

Haha, that sounds SO familiar. Especially the "whole world in her purse" part. My mom's a teacher, and when we were kids I'd check to see if some kid in her class had a birthday and gave her toffees!They dont do that anymore now..:(

My purse is hopelessly organised, its the rest of my life that's a mess :)

Anonymous said...

My purse is ridiculously organized and I go through it whenever I'm bored (which is to say, I go through it a lot!). How big is your purse to fit all that stuff in it?

Perception said...

Secondsight: Purse is a mess he he he....I tell ya sometimes I envy these men who just carry a wallet

Parsing Nonsense: U know me, I literally carry a bag, last night I looked at stuff and gosh looked like the one in the pic :)

Neeraja said...

Wow, you have so much patience to carry all of that in your bag! :)... I'm too lazy to carry stuff. My "purse" IS a wallet! It has Ids, credit cards, money and bills. I throw my wallet and cell phone into a small hand bag and that becomes my "fancy" evening hand bag... I feel so "un-feminine" now..lol! :)

Music7 said...

the pic is funny :P
Am sure you didnt end up with a rabbit n sink in your purse, that would have been funny!
Nice post :)
I generally keep my purse clean, "cancerian-cum-cleanoholic"

Perception said...

Neeraja & GGadre: So not fair, first you get a huge purse, fancy but huge, then you stuff half the world in it from tissues to test tubes to titbits. Then one fine day you sit down to clean the purse and find things you had completely forgotten about. Eh?

Boy I wish I were either organized like you GGadre or just carried a wallet like you Neeraja but sob sob!

Unknown said...

heheh...you must be carrying a sack to have found so much stuff in there...like a magician pulling out countless things from a hat :-)
I have no idea what all is in my purse or bag for that matter, albeit it does have some of the things you mentioned :-)

Perception said...

Nina: Now I am curious to know which ones from the list are in your purse. And you are right I carry a sack :)

shefusohani said...

wow that seems to be great task.I remember my mom always had hordes of cloves in her purse.Wondering why?They are great breath freshers ...hehehh..after a juicy meal everyone would need that..very handy.After reading this i feel even my purse needs a cleaning hand.

Perception said...

ShefuSohani: Don't even get me started on stuff in Ma's purse, let us just say its a hell lot more. I do remember the cloves, quite handy they are. And now I curious to know abt the stuff in your purse?