Friday, August 28, 2009

Ponder

The work is kinda slow today (oops I probably jinxed it) well that gives me a chance to quickly jot down my thoughts and most of all touch base with all you folks out there. So how’s everybody doing?

Summer is slowly slipping away and the subtle cold winds in the evenings remind me of chilly winters. But well, why think of it when its not in sight right? Working in Seattle has been quite some experience for me, for one it feels like the elite FORT area in Mumbai. Everyone’s very well dressed, except me ofcourse. I continue to wear a sloppy pair of jeans and t-shirt, many times salwar kurta and find myself standing out in the crowd. I can feel the eyes on my back when I get into the elevator especially on days I wear kurta. But frankly I am not the only one, I have seen some others who like me wear Indian attire, not in the company I work for but I have seen some on the bus. Then is the ride back to Bellevue, that kinda of quite too, everyone has their head dug either in a book, are in deep sleep or are listening to music. You may find someone get in the bus, asking driving when to get off and completely lost. There maybe 5 others who know about the place this person is trying to get to, yet no one offers help. Which is strange to me. However, this experience contradicts the one you may come across when you travel to downtown, university district and such areas within Seattle. I once got on a bus to go to downtown, near university. Ofcourse this was the first time I was travelling in that direction or to the destination, so I asked the driver, then with a scared rabbit face I sat as near to the exit as possible. I strained my ears to hear what the bus driver announced. The bus was filling up with people and this scared me even more, after a while the exit door was out of site. But between the stop I go on the bus and the next one, I had nearly 4 people ask me where I was trying to get to. One guy told me he is responsible for me getting off at the destination. I was surprised and quite happy. These people kept looking at me at each stop and nodded, showed they were concerned and kept the promise of helping me find the destination. Next day as I took the 550 to Bellevue I realized how indifferent everyone was. Have you experienced something like this? Is there a reason for this behavior? While you think and ponder, I will check if avalanche of work has come in :)

7 comments:

Kiran said...

hey! I work in Seattle too :-)
and I used to ride the bus everyday until recently.. i found a van pool!
makes life easier but on the other hand i have to get up at 6am now :(

Perception said...

Kiran: I am tempted to ask where and i suspect we may be even working in the same bldg. Gosh that would be crazy no?

rambuna said...

do you know me?

Perception said...

Rambuna: Well, now I know you

SecondSight said...

Ah, just yesterday I was pondering how riding on the bus always makes me feel like a kid again- Reminds me of school buses and college days, and the only bus I get to ride these days is the inter-campus shuttle, which is filled with freshmen and the smell of new books.. all the excitement and anticipation in those kids is so palpable in the air ! So when I'm feeling like an aging grad student whose life is slipping away, all I have to do is get on a bus.. (Cheaper than a face lift also, no? I should market this idea!)

Neeraja said...

Ah.. I've been on those same buses so I can relate to your experiences. I get the feeling that the university crowd and those who aren't necessarily part of the "corporate crowd" tend to be more laid-back, more friendly... the corporate ones become snooty and uptight and want to mind only their business :)

sid said...

just reminds me of the waiter at a local eat out...the day he realized i was payin my own bills and not tippin him, my food started smellin slightly stale an felt so damn cold...