Friday, November 6, 2009

Long awaited trip to India

What's with time these days? I mean day light time saving is one thing but personally I feel there just isnt enough time. This was a crazy week at work, I even wrote a draft here but didnt get around to post it. Well the good thing about time flying is 25th Nov is arriving sooner and this is the first time I actually am flying home for thanksgiving. Yes folks you guessed it right, I am taking the long awaited vacation to India. Apart from buying gifts and wondering about thousand things, there are few questions that keep appearing in my mind no matter what, I thought I would share it here and know if any of you felt the same way before going to India:

1. Would the roads and people look different?

2. Will I find all my cousins have grown older, greying ?

3. How about parents, do I run and hug them at the airport or simply stand still and let the thought that I am here and this is now sink in?

4. Will I manage to slow time and do all that I want to?

5. Will I be able to drive my 2-wheeler there like I did or will I be scared?

6. How will I react to the thousands of questions and curious inquiries of neighbors, relatives, friends and acquantainces. Will I long for my personal space or embrace the attention?

7. Will my brain constantly go into the loop of justifying the struggle I'll see daily- long queues, anxious train commuters, kids running aimlessly on streets vs porsche cars on broad roads, ample space and opportunities here?

And the most haunting questions of all- will my heart still break into million pieces when I bid goodbye to the land I came from?


P.S: I was simply happy to see your comment here Secondsight, I think I would rather not attempt to drive a vehicle while I am there :)

10 comments:

SecondSight said...

Wonderful!! Most of your questions I think depend on the amount of time you've been away.. but two of them remain unchanged- Yes, the roads will ALWAYS look different, even if you go within a 4 month span (like I just did), and Yes, you will most likely be TERRIFIED to drive anything, and possibly walk on the roads also, depending on the city.. :)
Have a fantastic trip home ;)

Music7 said...

I just know the answer to the very last question, yes your heart will break in a gazillion pieces when you bid them goodbye - that can never be joined back together for a very long time ...

shefusohani said...

The roads will look different for sure..Maybe u will be allergic to dust & start sneezing every now & then... :)But u will love the attention & the home cooked food & mamma getting the plate for u..treating u like her little girl again... :)...u will see so many people...people people every where.. :)I am sure u will have a blast...Bon Voyage

sid said...

drive???i amsure the roads will drive you...mad...but yeah!!!the toughest part vil b da gud bye!!!!happy hols!

Kiran said...

i am sure you will find all the answers to your questions....but don't forget to have fun and enjoy each and every moment :)

Perception said...

Secondsight: I'll update you once I am back. I'll atleast try and get into a rickshaw :)

GGadre: I feel that will be the case, but I am pushing the thought as long as I can...possibly till I bid goodbye

shefusohani: Mom is already too enthu, I think its lot more than she can handle :). She has this entire list of recipes to try on me while I am there. I however intend to make her sit in one place and catch up on all the missed gossip :)

And yeah people..where are they..i just need to see like crowds walking talking around to put my soul to some rest for another year

Sid: They will wont they? Oh and I hate goodbye. Thanks for the wishes

Kiran: I will keep you and all readers posted of how the answers are coming along. But you made a great point, I need to and have to enjoy each and every moment that goes by.

kusublakki said...

The moment you land in India all your questions will melt into a feeling a relief and happiness just for the simple fact that you're home! As cheesy as I sound saying this, it is true :)
Have a happy vacation!

SecondSight said...

Rickshaws are possibly THE most essential part of any India trip. You won't feel at home until you've ridden in one. and if you're in Bombay, make sure you chat with a few crazy taxi drivers too :)

Whether you'll find answers to your questions I don't know.. but I'm sure the trip will be heartwarming, heartbreaking, and completely unforgettable.. just like any trip to India is :)

Perception said...

kusublakki: I agree with your comment, possibly I would be beyond thinking anything. One way or the other I will keep everyone posted.


Secondsight: Yep rickshaws and taxidrivers added to the list now- I actually made a list of things to do :). While in Mumbai I also want to ride the BEST. After 2 yrs or Metro and Soundtransit that sure will feel different, and I especially want to thank the bus driver. Each time I thank a bus driver here I think of the million times I got off BEST without even as little as looking at the driver.

Sameeksha said...

I once thanked a bus driver out of habit as I got off at Andheri. His eyes foloowed me till I disappeared into the crowd, with an expression that said..what's wrong with you??!!