Tuesday, July 15, 2008

New hair cut

I got fedup with my hairstyle. So this Sunday I decided to chop and get a makeover (in a way). Found a hair salon with some discount going on and headed to it. Can you believe it charges same for men or women hair cut? I mean what skill does one need to cut men’s hair. Fact apart that whether you cut one inch more or less they don’t care much. So I reached the salon and was pointed to this Chinese women to cut my hair. I told her Madhuri Dixit style, shoulder length, layers. Not that it would make me look any good as Madhuri, but well everyone aspires of good things in life. Her first response was, sorry I can’t cut such long hair. Whaatttt? It's not even upto my waist, it’s a good 3 inch less. I had no choice but to allow her to chop off as much as she would be comfortable with. The other reason was of course my head felt light, my brain doesn’t weigh that much you see, it was all hair.

So next day, I walk into office. How many of you have experienced looks people give after: a brand new hair cut, or after removing braces, or first time you got your eyebrows done or (for men) I don’t know maybe chopped off beard or something.

I enter my office and my colleague simply decides to ignore my latest haircut. Dude! I just got a haircut and u don’t seem to care here. No I didn’t say that out loud, but his expression showed he didn’t seem to notice. Next I walk in to my managers office (Monday meeting, yawns!). Managers look: What you got a haircut now? Whatever. And he moves on to the usual doldrums. While he is focusing on work, I wonder whether my hairstyle is all that bad. Well who cares, works for me. Poor taste hmph! Then I go to our scrum, a group meeting of 10 people, hoping someone would notice. I enter the room late, lil bit shy. Sit besides a girl (whom i meet daily) and have to literally tell her, you know what I got a haircut. Yeah you did! She exclaims. It looks nice. Sometimes you just have to get people to validate, you see. While this was the end of the story for most parts. Evening brought new surprises. I took bus home. And usually same bunch of people travel by that bus everyday. The old guy who gets in a stop after me looked at me and raised his eyebrows. At least the oldie recognized me, or maybe his specs were irritating him. Well I prefer to believe the earlier than the latter. Then climbed in the women with her daughter and guess what. The little girl screamed, mum see no aunty got haircut (of course in her mother tongue which thank god was Marathi). I waved back to the girl and her mum. I was surprised at how weird it is, that strangers notice things which people who meet you daily may not.

My take on this one, if you haven’t tried a haircut in ages, it time for a change. Trust me, it feels awesome, just the change and the freshness it brings along.

Edited to add: Today was a day of me having mood to wear traditional Indian outfit at work. Result being, everyone at work seem to notice the outfit ANDDDDD the haircut yay yay!!

4 comments:

Music7 said...

I agree... while preparing for my interviews in Jan-Feb, I got so fed up with my look that I chopped off my hair to a mere bob-cut :P
Not to mention the look I got from Ashish for that... he kept reminding .. "you better grow all that back before the wedding.." :-|

Personally, I felt so light-headed :)
Have not nothing in there, all hair I suppose :P

Anonymous said...

Outfit works. Everytime my wife comes out with a Saree or Chudithar to the Mall or the store, we get the eyes and some exclaim to my wife "Wow, you look pretty!" and me in my usual jeans and t-shirt I am lost among them.

Erika said...

Alright, I feel like I have weigh in on this topic because a woman's hair is super-important. First thing, never ever go to a salon that doesn't have a good reputation, especially if they charge the same amount for women's and men's haircuts.

Second, you're gonna need some layers, girl. You have a beautiful head full of thick, wavy hair and if you don't get some layers your style won't shine through as well. The next time you get your hair cut, give me a call and I'll send you the number of the woman who cuts my hair. The woman is a magician and she'll have you turning heads after she's through with you :)

Perception said...

Thanks nice people for the comments.

Ganga: U bet, I mean i love the short pony tail, just reminds me of times in school.

Maduraiveeran: Wow that's a long name. Saree is the most awesome outfit and extremely elegant, hence would say it does deserve all the attention.

Erika: Yes women, next hair cut wont be without a call to you as long as the magician does not turn me into a rabbit