Friday, February 20, 2009

White Eggs and Brown Eggs are the same

Its Friday and a post day. No I don’t care if I cant think of anything real to share, I am just going to throw some words here, add a bit of masala and say served! This week was fulto tv week, what? How? Coz we watched 2 movies- both every morning in bits as our breakfast tv bit. By we I mean “me”. Yup I need to, have to watch something while I sip tea early morning, it’s a breakfast ritual accompanied by the tea ritual. How can you not I ask? Then we watched Lost, House , Heroes and Big Bang. I know I know Big Bang’s not coming back till March snif snif! So we watched Season 1 all over again, of the luminous gold fish and such. At work, we had some crazy crazy people we dealt with. Don’t ask, please don’t ask. Shhh! Ok only coz you asked, there was this one dude who believed that 2 different people, living in different states, with different names, addresses, phone numbers are the same people. Yep I tried to explain, saying look look this and that and this is different and dude say o well I think they are same to same. Freak!

And yday I went to Safeway, closer to home no, so I walk. Literally wanted to buy every 2nd thing I saw but didn’t. Sob Sob! Bought the regular groceries and chips and titbits and ran to the express lane, its supposed to be faster. However there was this old lady who was helping the guy at the counter to fill customer purchased goods in the bags. She must be in her 80’s, and constantly blabbering "I tell ya, there is no difference between brown eggs and white" she said to someone who looked like a zombie. Anywho, she stopped every customer to tell them this. Explained to them how once upon a time (very very long time ago I believe) her grandmother had a farm and hens. During Depression the hen gave brown eggs (Yeah I know, how would the hens know)but well the story goes-which no one purchased so oldie had to sell the hens. She repeated the story to me, I out of courtesy said “She would definitely have made more money now”. Gone! Oldie made me step out of line

Old lady: Strange look

Me: Sweet smile

Old lady: (very softly, voice low, eyeing everyone around) Yeah its all about what the hens eat I tell ya

Me:(Duh!) Hmmm yeah true, true (There are times when I feel like slapping myself to present)

Old lady: “You know with all these computers….technology… and blue…brown…green eggs and the kinda amount they charge everyone?”

Me:”umm I’m not sure but guess its just a few cents more……green eggs?”

Old lady: “FEW CENTS??????” “In this economy…..everyone losing job and all….I have to fill bags you see…and I am old. Have you seen an ostrich egg?”

Me: Errrr “Ok gotta go” (That was quick, good now just stick to it)

Old lady: “You know there’s all this fraud going on these days and you can never trust computers…….I have lots of kids who work with computers and they’ve told me nothing is safe.”

Me: “Yeah…..I know……gotta go” (What’s your point? Lotsa Kids?)

Old lady: "So keep your card and cheque and all hidden, safe somewhere and don’t throw that bill like that?”

Me: “Ok, Thank you. Have a great day!” (Started to leave)

Old lady: “So see you tomorrow okie, oh wait wait Did I tell you brown eggs and white are actually the same?”

Me: Grrrrr! (O God, not again please please)

Me: Byeees

Old lady completely ignores me and to the next customer in line: “So did I tell you brown eggs and white are the same?”

Oh man, I think I am some kind of freak magnet, what else can be the reason for such people to start a conversation with me. After that conversation I didnt want to think, cook or eat eggs.

9 comments:

Neeraja said...

That was a cute grandma :)... I love encouraging ol' grandmas to tell such stories. Now who is the bigger freak? ;)

SecondSight said...

Yup brown and white are the same, but green eggs are definitely a whole shade better !! Especially with ham, preferably served by a cat in a hat! :)

(If you run into little old lady again, try feeding her this one ;))

Music7 said...

heheh! old granny's are very sweet! :) I remember having long conversations with them in India. They just need people to talk to!

SUMI said...

funny...:) but are white eggs and brown eggs *Really* the same? :)

Perception said...

Neeraja: I am actually thinking it might be true- I truely may be a freak magnet ;) Btw I love oldies but sometimes they are weird esp when they repeat same things that include eggs and their grandma

SecondSight: I was thinking may be Ostrich Egg. I also feel I may have to travel to planet Helium to get one of those green eggs ;)

GGadre: Next time I meet her will give her ur number ;) Indian granny's dude those are on a different level altogether, maybe some day I'll post about them :)

Sumi: http://ask.yahoo.com/20000523.html Btw girls, eggs come in all sort of colors it seems, which now makes me look so stupid, how will I ever face the oldie now? No difference, just cosmetic :( and all this time I was buying those stupid brown ones, just coz they looked better and different

Anonymous said...

Ha! You're such a sweetie, if I were a cantankerous old biddy intent on conspiracy theories I would definitely talk to you too!

I've always thought that brown eggs and white eggs tasted identical. I think the brown eggs are prettier, though.

Unknown said...

aww...poor granny.But i will avoid going to Safeway late evenings!Well has anyone checked the color of the eggs lately? i suppose they must be more brown now since we are in a depression!hehehe.. i trust the hens still have their 'heroes ability' to know :-)

shefusohani said...

Good one!!The first time when i saw brown eggs I was like what happened to the hen that laid eggs?After reading your post today i got to know its depression time.Wonder why I never got to see brown eggs in India?

Perception said...

ShefuSohani:For a pretty good time I was buying those brown eggs thinking they were better :(. I believe the hens in India really dont have time to think of recession :)