Saturday, July 25, 2009

Bus Ride- Yesterday

Yesterday I got on to the bus, as usual nodded to the grumpy driver, who by the way wishes me goodmorning these days and moved on to find a window seat. Across from my seat I saw a pump guy getting all cozy and ready to sleep. Well it was around 7.45 am and not everyone needs to be all fresh and energetic. May be he was up late night, may be the weather is just right for the nap and may be I should stop thinking about why he wants to sleep and mind my own business. The very pregnant nice lady came and sat next to me. We often ride together, I chit chat with here and that makes the time go by soon. She says her baby is unusually active in the morning, kicking and bumping. I look from the plump man to her plump tummy.

Lots of regular riders get on the bus, most of them with headphones on. The bus moves to the next stop, the same old lady who asks the same old question to the grumpy driver gets on the bus. Now my friends let me tell you about this old lady, this old lady asks the same question to the driver daily- Whether the bus will go to the destination she wants to reach? And this she does everyday, I think in a way she tries to irritate the grumpy driver. First she either pretends or maybe really does not hear his answer. Then she sits right across him (in the elder folks seat) and asks him "Are you sure this bus goes there?" . Ha! The grumpy driver turns to her and tells her he drives the same route daily, stressing on the word DAILY. She thanks him- Thank you son, peacefully closes her eyes and enjoys the ride. Those who have noticed this, smile whenever she gets on the bus.

Well as the bus reaches the 3rd stop, the plump guy I told you folks about starts snoring. Yep, loud and clear. He also has an unusal snore pattern: "Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.....psssssssssstttttt" ending with a whistle. I try to reason with myself, well its normal for people to snore, stop listening, dont even look in that direction, ok spell Mississippi, talk to pregnant lady. But in spite I laugh, now laughing these days is risky,why you ask? Let me tell you how vulnerable these pregnant ladies are to laughter, the preggo lady looks at me with her eyebrows up, questioning sort of why I laugh. I turn my head and look at the plump snoring guy, that's it for her. She goes into a fit of laughter, too hard to stop or control. She keeps holding her tummy and keeps laughing. I pray she doesnt go into labor. Just then the snoring pattern of the plump guy changes to "Huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuurrrrrr Psssstttttttttttttttttt". While I think if there is a way to distract the preggo lady from looking or hearing the snore man,suddenly a south indian song starts playing loudly. Everyone looks around, the guy listening to music is asleep, doesnt know the music is on loudspeaker mode now.

What starts as an exchange of smiles, turn into full roar laughter and this time the grumpy driver joins in. The guy sitting next to the music player, wakes him up, who screams. Screams???? Why??? Not sure why. This leads to another round of laughter and wakes the snoring man. Who instantly joins the laughter club completely unaware of his snoring attribute.

Sometimes laughing with strangers makes the bus ride worth it!

11 comments:

Neeraja said...

Looks like you're getting your daily dose of entertainment with just traveling :)... Look forward to more stories :)

Vivek said...

I can never sleep when someone snores next to me. I mat end up asking him to get it checked and worse case - PLUG some orifices.
:D

Ketan said...

This was an interesting read! Thanks!

SecondSight said...

Haha.. I see you live by the great Cat's words-
"From there to here, and here to there, funny things are everywhere!"
And welcome back :) Its good to know there's so much material for your posts !(<-- hint hint ;))

Neeraja said...

Hey you've been tagged on my blog :)

Parsing Nonsense said...

I missed these stories from you! So glad your commute is treating you well and that you're still finding joy in the little things!

Suma Subramaniam said...

How entertaining a bus ride can be! Do you commute by bus everyday?

Perception said...

Neeraja: U bet. Sometimes I feel I keep looking for these daily doses.

Vivek: I remember festivals in India where all family members would live for a few days as a big joint family and atleast 2 uncles snored. These 2 always ended up in the last bedroom, away from all others. But its surprising how they still continue to claim they dont snore at all.

Ketan: Thanks!

SecondSight: I am usually tired to write when I get home but while I travel downtown and back, thoughts keep bouncing in my brain. I think I should atleast pen them on paper and then post them here.

Neeraja: Thanks for tagging :)

Parsing Nonsense: Glad u like reading these.

Suma: Yep daily. The ride aint too bad, waking up early is what is really annoying :)

Manis said...

hey,
found u on orkut and got to this blogsite. The "very pregnant lady" also read this article with her usual smiles :-)
nice reading!

Perception said...

Manis: Glad you both enjoyed reading this, just an attempt to create humour, did it work???

Sriram said...

first time here.

this is so funny! well written.