Monday, January 21, 2008

Chicken Soup and more..


I often go to eat either Chinese or Thai food. Two cuisines which I guess similar to Indian food (spicy). All you need to do is when the waiter/waitress (well both look same sometimes) come to take the order, tell them to make it realllllllly spicy. Emphazine on the multiple "lllllll". Its important to explain to them that their scale of 1 to 5 sucks, and if they try and put in more of whichever sauce they put, it will help. Most of the times I either receive blank stares or rude replies. Sometimes they even pull the menus from my hands as if I ran out of the ticking time given to me for ordering my dinner. What is the hurry with them, I wonder? I mean if they are waiting at the table you better give them the order that min or else. Most of the time I am focused on listening to i bling your fhood okhay?? Once I hear that, I know the waiter at least understood the order, so I wont starve or be kicked out. Another major issue is trying to show them American Express card, forget showing even asking if they accept it, feels like a crime. Always hear them totally pissed off and saying angrily Noh Ahmerikhan Espress, only Vizza and Masssterr. Yeah right!! I invariably take too long to order the food I want to eat, also I always end up asking the waiter how is this made or how would this taste. First the guy stares at me, its too difficult to tell where he is looking. Small eyes, round face you know. There is a clear question mark on his face. Kung Pao Cheekhan, its its spyhee and chweet. There you go, so well is it sweet or is it spicy? Yeah yeah spyhee, why do they always repeat what we say? And never, never even try and ask them if a particular thing is veg or non veg. Its like asking for veg food in a Chinese restaurant is banned. I tried once and was totally screamed at. Yeah Yeah Bhej this is bhej, egg okhay?? No egg okhay?? No egg no phood. My hungry stomach kept kicking me from inside asking me to shut up. I calmed myself by looking around and telling self that I was lucky at least the waiter came to take the order. At one time I ordered for lunch special and some sort of soup was served. Truthfully, the soup smelled like toilet eewww. You never know what they can serve at these places. While in India we are worried about Ajinomoto and side effects, here I am not even sure if the chicken is truly chicken or something else. No matter how good the restaurants is, I always find myself digging through the fried rice and confirming that the pieces scattered meat are really chicken. But yet, my poor souls starve for these cuisines and I find ourselves relishing on the food. Sometimes I find these narrow eyed people really very innocent and cute. I love the food, yeah I love it, served hot, I grab the spoon but as I put the spoon in my mouth, I remember the plain dal rice with a dulop of ghee from back home….do I still remember that aroma, do I ?

2 comments:

Jasraj said...

Nice Blog as always!!! Just make sure no small-eyed people see this and please make this post friends-only ;)

Unknown said...

Chinese food ... that immediately reminds me of Indo-chinese -- chicken lollypop, manchurian, schezwuan,... whoever came up with those dishes should be awarded by Chinese folks.. :) Why dont they make these here.. i miss them...